Thursday, February 26, 2009

You must Know Why?

Written by Toma Grubb

I am assuming you are viewing this site because you are looking for answers because you know some friends suffer from diabetic. I have some remarkable dietary strategies I want to share with you. Strategies that have worked extremely well for me and others I have shared them with.

In February 2005 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was in such bad shape that the doctors and nurses at the Veterans Hospital in Seattle told me I was close to death. I got diligent about finding the best solutions. I am well controlled and now off all meds. In July 2006 I did an intake physical with a new doctor. Based on my labs and symptoms at the intake physical, he was questioning whether I had been misdiagnosed. Being misdiagnosed is highly unlikely since I was in ICU at the Seattle VAMC for four days being pocked, prodded and getting blood drawn on a short regular basis.

These strategies may not work for everyone, but on the other hand, I have only gotten positive feedback from those I have shared them with. Do you want to try to get so well controlled you will not need to take meds? I will not ask you to give up your medications just yet. First you must get your blood glucose readings so well controlled that your doctor will agree that you no longer need them.

I truly hope these strategies work as well for you as they did for me. Either way, I want to hear from you and how your glucose control is progressing. You may even be able to teach me a few things.

This site is based on diabetics helping other diabetics. One doctor told me that diabetics often become more expert at controlling their condition than the doctors that are treating them. I know this is not true in all cases but the national statistics of both the USA and Canada indicate that half of all diabetics are poorly controlled. Is it the patients or the medical establishment that is failing? I will leave that judgment call up to you.

I was not getting good results trying to do what I was told to do by my medical team. Doing it their way my glucose readings were still high. Doing it my way, my glucose readings dropped rapidly to the 90 mg/dl to 100 mg/dl range and my A1C dropped from 20.9 to 5.2 I have switched to a meter that records using the international scale and my readings for the past month have been between 4.2 and 4.9. Doesn’t get much better than that.

I am not going to blow any smoke at you and tell you it is going to be easy. In the beginning it is going to take a lot of work on your part. You will have to take the time to learn good dietary practices. You are going to need to relearn how to prepare a meal and probably a new way of cooking. You may need to change how you think about food. You will need to learn how to analyze, budget and balance every meal.

I will tell you that the end result is well worth the effort. You will feel much better and you will be lowering your risk for the nasty complications that can come with diabetes like amputation, kidney failure, blindness, heart disease and other very unpleasant complications.

I want you to get results as good as mine. I will do my best to help you through the forums, by email, and skype. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Sincerely,

Toma Grubb
Monday, 02 October 2006

No comments: